This information is intended for US healthcare professionals.
Screening can help identify patients who might benefit from enhanced clinical vigilance and education, which can improve management at Stage 3 T1D onset.3
1. Barker JM, Goehrig SH, Barriga K, et al; DAISY study. Clinical characteristics of children diagnosed with type 1 diabetes through intensive screening and follow-up. Diabetes Care. 2004;27(6):1399-1404.
2. Elding Larsson H, Vehik K, Bell R, et al. Reduced prevalence of diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in young children participating in longitudinal follow-up. Diabetes Care. 2011;34(11):2347-2353.
3. Raab J, Haupt F, Scholz M, et al; Fr1da Study Group. Capillary blood islet autoantibody screening for identifying pre-type 1 diabetes in the general population: design and initial results of the Fr1da study. BMJ Open. 2016;6(5):1-12.
4. Winkler C, Schober E, Ziegler A-G, Holl RW. Markedly reduced rate of diabetic ketoacidosis at onset of type 1 diabetes in relatives screened for islet autoantibodies. Pediatr Diabetes. 2012;13(4):308-313.
5. Rewers A, Dong F, Slover RH, Klingensmith GJ, Rewers M. Incidence of diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in Colorado youth, 1998-2012. JAMA. 2015;313(15):1570-1572.
6. Neylon OM, White M, Connell MAO, Cameron FJ. Insulin-dose-adjusted HbA1c-defined partial remission phase in a paediatric population—when is the honeymoon over? Letter. Diabet Med. 2013;30(5):627-628. doi:10.1111/dme.12097
7. Duca LM, Wang B, Rewers M, Rewers A. Diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes predicts poor long-term glycemic control. Diabetes Care. 2017;40(9):1249-1255.
8. Glaser N, Barnett P, McCaslin I, et al; for The Pediatric Emergency Medicine Collaborative Research Committee of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Risk factors for cerebral edema in children with diabetic ketoacidosis. N Engl J Med. 2001;344(4):264-269.
9. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. All About Your A1C. Accessed December 2, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/managing/managing-blood-sugar/a1c.html